Poor Man's Recipe #3: Less than Mexican Pizza

Now you know why it's a less than Mexican pizza. Limited ingredients, fast, but definitely not a chef specialty. In fact Gordon Ramsay would probably chew my head off for this one but I don't make his salary either. So this is for you my fellow money pinchers (in this case we are pinching in hopes of keeping some money).
Anyway, all you need for this is a tortilla (corn tortilla is healthier but flour tortilla will work too), ground beef or chicken, grape tomatoes, cilantro, and shredded cheese.
This is really simple. Keep in mind if you don't have patience, have kids, or just really busy this is the quick way. Take your tortilla and slap it on a plate. That's right slap it on the plate and let out some of that frustration.
Take some of that yummy browned ground beef (seasoned with what you wish) and glide it on top of the tortilla (the beef already took the beating while you were cooking and mincing it up). Take some grape tomatoes and cut them in quarters. I used about 4 grape tomatoes for this but use as many as you'd like. Next top with some cilantro (again as much as you want). I love cilantro so I splurge a bit. All that green in the picture? It's all cilantro. After that top it off with shredded cheese and stick it in the microwave. Obviously the time depends on the microwave you have. I set mine to about 1 minute 45 seconds.
When I have more patience I will cook this in the oven. I will break this down for you in price so you know how much this will cost approximately.

Giant brand white corn tortillas: $1.19
Cilantro: $1.49 (per bunch)
Pint of grape tomatoes: $2.99
Kraft shredded cheese: 2/$5
Ground beef (already had at home)
Total cost of meal: $8.17 (you're not using a whole pack of shredded cheese so in this case I referred to one pack of cheese which was $2.50 with the deal)

If you find these ingredients at a Sharp Shopper or Aldi's the cost will be cheaper. Stay tuned for more poor man recipes! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts